- In accordance with its statutes, the GAL shapes and contributes to the development of Applied Linguistics in Germany in all relevant contexts.
- The GAL contributes to scientifically justifiable solutions to all issues related to language and communication in society, politics and the economy.
- It supports junior researchers and the transfer of linguistic methods and insights into the professional field.
- The GAL promotes the interdisciplinary exchange of scientific results and practical experiences, as well as the co-operation of individuals and institutions. This takes place on a national and international level; in cooperation with European (AILA Europe) and global partner organisations.
- To achieve these goals, the GAL carries out scientific conferences and advanced vocational trainings. It publishes the book series Forum Angewandte Linguistik (F.A.L., Forum of Applied Linguistics) and the Zeitschrift für Angewandte Linguistik (ZfAL, Journal of Applied Linguistics).
GAL and AILA
The GAL is a member of the Association Internationale de Linguistique Appliquée (International Association of Applied Linguistics; AILA), the international umbrella organisation for expert associations of applied linguists in more than 40 countries of the world. It co-operates with political as well as economic institutions and organisations to find solutions for educational and practical challenges.